Tuesday, April 8, 2014

3 months post-pregnancy

I'm back. This means a lot of things. Back to work, back to working out, and trying to get "back" on my healthy eating plan. Fortunately, I did not completely go off the rails during pregnancy with my eating or exercise. Instead, my difficultly came with the last month of post-pregnancy leave. Given a series of events (highly emotional), I became focused and mindful about my eating choices. Too much sugar, refined carbs, and snacking. With going back to work last week, I am slowly but surely resolving to get back on track. For me, this has a lot to do with planning and preparation. If I don't plan, I am not prepared. If I am not prepared, I tend to just "go" with whatever sounds good. Not a good plan, right? Some of my preparation this week involved reading up on some new recipes from other WLS blogs, went shopping, and stocked my fridge with some appropriate choices. So, other issues? Working out. From about 8 weeks post-partum, I started walking at the Mall of America for about an hour and a half every day (about 5 times around). This was a great way to segway back into exercising (particularly post c-section). Now that I am back at work, I am aiming to go work out during my lunch hours. I went three times last week, but my goodness, was I exhausted by 7 pm at night. This week, I am resolving to go 4 times. Slowly but surely, right? As someone who has been successful at losing weight with the help of WLS, I am terrified of gaining. I am terrified of failing. I am terrified at looking at the scale again, only to see the numbers higher than I wanted. But, I feel that I am facing these fears and getting my mind on track to be successful. I look forward to using this as a platform for charting my success (and, let's be frank, also my struggles).

1 comment:

  1. I love your honesty. I believe you share the same story with almost all post-pregnancy mothers out there. I always tell myself that the first step with any endeavor is acknowledging the situation and identifying the problem areas. You just did that and I'm sure you are one step closer to your goal. I wish you all the best in your health endeavors!

    Chantel Fett @ Knight and Sanders

    ReplyDelete